Today is my birthday. I’m 38 years old. And I’m size four…teen, yeah, size 14.
I prefer experiences to store bought gifts because they are more memorable and I like feeling alive, especially on my birthday. I usually pick experiences that are completely terrifying to me. Last year my gift to myself was getting my first book, “Mind Your Manners Minnie Monster!” published. (check it out: http://www.minniemonsters.com and/or at amazon.com.)
This year I’m going to do three (3) frightening things:
1. Start a Blog. I want to be a writer and all the professional writers I’ve met say that they like my work and I really need to start writing more often. They all suggest writing a blog. Blogs scare me because:
- I’m not tech savvy. At all. I joined Facebook 30 seconds ago and asked, “what’s a wall?”
- I’m not sure how I will find time to update my posts in a timely manner, and
- I’m afraid I’ll write something offensive, get flame mail, and everyone will hate me
2. Shoot a Gun. As a Jersey girl Democrat who spent the last ten years living in Southern California, holding a gun is about as foreign to me as eating tofu at a steak house is for a Texan.
3. Enter a Bikini Competition. This actually petrifies me the most. Seriously…nothing screams “bikini winner!” like a 38-year-old, size 14 woman.
But guess what? My first blog post is done now. Happy Birthday to Me!
What terrifies you? Do you have a scary goal you’d like to do this year? Let me know!
Sheslosingit.net (c) 2012 Lisa Traugott. All rights reserved. No portion of this blog, including any text, photographs, and artwork, may be reproduced or copied without written permission.