Bodybuilder and trainer Duda Bueno answered some of my questions and gave me some tips for growing muscle mass. (If you are in the San Diego area he can be reached at (858) 952-4252 and/or dudabuenofitness.com.) Here’s our interview:
Lisa: So tell me something about yourself.
Duda: I’m from Novohamburgo, Brazil and I love to train.
Lisa: How did you get into bodybuilding?
Duda: I was really skinny when I was a kid. I looked at my cousin who was bigger and said, “I want to be like him!” Everyone looks at me know and says, “Oh you have good genetics,” and I say, “Bullshit! I have dedication to training hard.”
Lisa: How much did you weigh then?
Duda: 130 lbs.
Lisa: And now?
Duda: 260 lbs off season and 215 lbs for competitions.
Here are some pictures from his last competition:
Duda: You have to put on weight to grow muscle mass.
Lisa: My trainer told me that too, but I don’t understand why.
Duda: If you don’t have enough fat on your body then your body will eat muscle tissue for energy and you will lose size.
Lisa: Speaking of size – I don’t want to get too big…
Duda: All my female clients are worried about that. Don’t worry, you’re a woman so you can’t get as big as a man. It takes a long time to build up muscle, and the women you are thinking of probably take steroids to get that big. If you are just training naturally with some supplements you will look strong and beautiful.
Lisa: OK, so what are 5 Tips to Build Muscle Mass?
1. Be consistent. You can’t take days off from your diet. You can’t skip a day of weight training. Or party really hard and drink alcohol and then expect good results. You have to follow your meal plan and your exercise regiment consistently.
2. Eat 6 meals a day, spaced out every 3 hours. Everyone is different, so you should work with your trainer to get the right mix of protein/carbs/fat. I always make a nutrition plan for my clients and then adjust it based on how their body reacts to it. Some clients need more protein, some more carbs.
3. Make the weights as heavy as possible. Push yourself. Train as hard as possible until your muscles are full of blood because that stimulates growth.
4. Take L-glutamine, which is an amino acid, to make your muscles recover faster from workouts. Take it before each meal so your body absorbs it better.
5. Make sure sure you get proper rest, 7-8 hours of sleep per night. If you have an afternoon or evening weight training session, try to take a nap before so you have more energy for your training.
If you are in San Diego and would like to train with Duda, you can reach him at (858) 952-4252 and/or dudabuenofitness.com.
Please note: These tips are for information purposes only. Always check with your doctor before starting an exercise/nutrition program.
Sheslosingit.net (c) 2012 Lisa Traugott. All rights reserved. No portion of this blog, including any text, photographs, and artwork, may be reproduced or copied without written