As you can tell, I’m a Democrat. (Henri is a Republican.) Here is why I voted for President Obama:
1. He is a consistent leader with a strong moral compass, even when it is unpopular. Mitt Romney seems to change his opinions just to get votes.
2. Obama’s views on women’s issues are in line with my own. He believes the government should butt out of a woman’s right to choose. In my state of Texas that is becoming more and more important. This January the Fifth Circuit US Court of Appeals, “upheld a Texas law that requires women seeking an abortion to have a sonogram exam and to listen to a physician’s detailed description of the fetus, including whether it has developed limbs or internal organs.” (Wall Street Journal, 1/12/12)
It doesn’t take much to look down the horizon and see that a Romney goal is to overturn Roe v. Wade, as he stated in this opinion he wrote in June 2011. (click here: National Review) Even though in 1994 and 2002 he was pro-choice when he was running for office in liberal Massachusettes (click here: Politifact) (See what I mean about flip-flopping to get votes?)
Note to all politicians: I am a woman and I vote. Back off my uterus! Talk of “legitimate rape” (sorry – rape is rape) and holding hearings about birth control where not a single woman is on the panel is just stupid. And speaking of stupid…
3. It’s the economy stupid. The economy isn’t great, but it’s getting better. Unemployment is 7.8% and jobs are on the rise. Obama cut taxes for middle class families and wants to raise taxes on millionaires and billionaires. It’s not fair that a secretary pays 32% in taxes and Romney only pays 14%. Also, all this talk about scary debt is pretty interesting coming from Romney, considering at Bain Capital he loaded up debt onto the businesses he invested in, only he used the fancy word “leverage” instead. This is coming from Ronald Reagan’s budget director, David Stockman, in his article in Newsweek (click here: Newsweek.)
4. I feel safer with Obama as Commander in Chief. Obama ended the War in Iraq, made the decision to raid the compound in Pakistan and kill Osama bin Laden, took out many al Qaeda leaders, got Russia to reduce nuclear weapons, and is getting our soldiers home from Afghanistan. Romney managed to offend our most important ally, Great Britain, during the Olympics in London. Really? (Yes, click here: BBC-Romney Offends British Government.)
5. Obamacare gets rid of insurance abuses. I had not one but two cancer scares in the past that turned out to be nothing. But four years ago when Henri and I were trying to get medical insurance no one would cover me. I was being punished for pre-existing conditions. Obamacare fixes that. Obama also Regulated Wall Street. It’s about time someone held those guys accountable!
Those are my thoughts. Whatever your political views may be, please vote.
Sheslosingit.net (c) 2012 Lisa Traugott. All rights reserved. No portion of this blog, including any text, photographs, and artwork, may be reproduced or copied without written permission.