While shopping online during Cyber Monday is one way to burn calories, there are other ways to burn off a few calories during office hours, says Selen Razon, a professor of sport and exercise psychology at Ball State.
“Studies have shown that long periods of inactivity — including sitting at your desk — increase the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer,” she says. “I suggest that people do a few simple exercises to get their bodies moving and then stretching and toning at your desk. Moving a little goes a long way.”
- Start exercising before arriving at your desk by first parking your car as far away from the building as possible and then walking.
- Take the stairs whenever possible.
- Do exercises at your desk, including flexing arms, legs and abs on 30-second intervals.
- Get rid of a chair and sit on a medicine/fitness ball while working. Sitting on a ball will tone and strengthen your abs.
- Stand up and/or take short walks every 20 minutes at desk. Studies show even simple frequent standing breaks significantly decrease your chances of getting diabetes.
- Exchange the typical desk for one that allows you to stand, which burns more calories.
- Bring gadgets to the office. Hand grippers and stretch cords are relatively cheap and can provide great outlets for keeping active while you look at your screen.
Nearly 27.5 percent of the American adult population reports being obese, says The Burden of Adult Obesity in Indiana. Razon says incorporating these exercises in your daily work routine could help keep off the pounds.
Good luck and Happy Cyber Monday!