Excerpted from The Total Food Allergy Health and Diet Guide by Alexandra Anca, MHSc, RD © 2012 Robert Rose Inc. http://www.robertrose.ca All rights reserved: May not be reprinted without publisher permission.
Lemon Garlic Chicken
8-cup (2 L) covered casserole dish
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (30 mL)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (15 mL)
- 1 tsp dried thyme (5 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch paprika
- Pinch freshly ground white pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1. In a sealable plastic freezer bag set in a bowl, combine garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, thyme, salt, nutmeg, paprika and white pepper. Add chicken breast with marinade, seal bag and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place chicken breasts with marinade in the casserole dish and cover tightly. Bake for 45 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pint inside and a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a breast registers 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Chicken can be marinated at room temperature for up to 30 minutes if you are short on time. Any longer, make sure it is refrigerated. Throw out the plastic bag used for marinating.
- Can’t find the cover that fits your casserole? Cover it with fol, dull side out. Trace around the rim with your fingers to be sure foil forms a tight seal.
- Rather than baking the chicken, barbecue or grill it for 5 to 8 minutes per side.
- Substitute an equal amount of oregano for the thyme. Or use 1 tbsp (15 mL) snipped fresh thyme or oregano.
Nutrients Per Serving: Calories: 170, Fat: 7 g, Carbohydrate: 1 g, Fiber: 0 g, Protein 25 g, Iron: 1.0 mg, calcium: 14 mg).