Crispy Chicken Bites
YIELD: 6 servings (20 to 25 nuggets)
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10-15 minutes
Fast-food nuggets have nothing on these delicious morsels. The crispy almond-based coating and yummy honey-mustard sauce will make this quick dish a family favorite in no time. For more kid-friendly, Tosca-approved meal ideas, pick up your copy of The Eat-Clean Diet® for Family and Kids.
• 3 x 6-oz / 170-g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• ¼ cup / 60 ml oat bran
• ¼ cup / 60 ml wheat germ
• 1 Tbsp / 15 ml coarsely ground flaxseed
• ¼ cup / 60 ml coarsely ground almonds
• ½ tsp / 2.5 ml sea salt
• ½ tsp / 2.5 ml white pepper
• Pinch garlic powder
• ½ cup / 120 ml water or low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F / 232°C. Prepare baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or coating lightly with extra virgin olive oil.
- Cut chicken breasts into nugget-sized pieces, about 1½ inches square. Set aside.
- Next, combine all dry ingredients in a large container with a tightly fitting lid. Shake well. This is your coating mixture.
- Combine water and egg in a medium bowl. Dip each piece in the water-egg white mixture. Then dip each piece in the coating mixture. Make sure each piece is well coated.
- Place on the baking sheet. When all of your chicken has been coated and your baking sheet is full, place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
Clean-Eating Honey Mustard Sauce
• 1½ tsp / 7.5 ml honey
• 1 Tbsp / 15 ml Dijon mustard
- Mix well.
Use the almond coating on larger strips of chicken breast to make chicken tenders for the adults!
Nutritional Value per 4 nuggets:
Nutritional Value Per ¾ tsp sauce:
Calories from Fat: 0
Fat: 0 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Protein: 0 g
Carbs: 3 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Sodium: 60 mg
Cholesterol: 0 mg