How much sugar does the average American adult eat each day?
- a) 6 teaspoons
- b) 15 teaspoons
- c) 22 teaspoons
- d) 57 teaspoons
If you guessed c – 22 teaspoons, you’d be right, according to the American Heart Association journal Circulation. And this number is just added sugar, not the sugar found naturally in fruit either. (Read the article here.)
How much sugar should the average woman limit herself to? Six (6) teaspoons, which is 100 calories. (If you are a man you can have nine (9) teaspoons, which is 150 calories, proving yet again that life is unfair.)
Most of the sugar comes from drinks like soda and junk foods. Save your waistline and your teeth!
5 Sweet Tips to Reduce Sugar Overload:
- Try using Stevia in your coffee instead of sugar.
- Try cutting out junk food from your diet. If going cold turkey on the junk food sounds too tough, why not make Monday your cheat day and eat clean the rest of the week?
- Read labels. Sugar can also be found in ingredients like corn syrup and words ending in “ose” like fructose.
- Go natural. Instead of having ice cream for dessert (loaded with fat and sugar) why not try mixed berries in vanilla Greek yogurt?
- If you must drink soda (I’m guilty here) try switching to diet soda made with artificial sweeteners.
Sheslosingit.net (c) 2013 Lisa Traugott. All rights reserved. No portion of this blog, including any text, photographs, and artwork, may be reproduced or copied without written permission.